Petri.co.il forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Client Operating Systems > Windows 7
Petri.co.il is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

migrating profile from domain to local ?

migrating profile from domain to local ?

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 4383 times

Closed Thread

Old 13th April 2012, 12:24

6 month star 12 month star
  Send a message via Skype™ to tehcamel
 Reputation: tehcamel is a name known to alltehcamel is a name known to alltehcamel is a name known to alltehcamel is a name known to alltehcamel is a name known to alltehcamel is a name known to all (646)
Default migrating profile from domain to local ?

I know how to migrate from a local profile, to a domain
what about doing it in reverse... ?

Melbourne IT Support

Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point
Old 14th April 2012, 15:40
Administrator

Reputation: biggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to behold (766)
Default Re: migrating profile from domain to local ?

How about copying the Domain copy into Default User or Default profile.
"There I stood at the bar, wearing a Mae West, no jacket, and beginning to leak blood from my torn boot. None of the golfers took any notice of me - after all, I wasn't a member!" Kenneth Lee - after being shot down during the Battle of Britain on the 18th August 1940.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 15th April 2012, 13:20

Reputation: wullieb1 is a splendid one to beholdwullieb1 is a splendid one to beholdwullieb1 is a splendid one to beholdwullieb1 is a splendid one to beholdwullieb1 is a splendid one to beholdwullieb1 is a splendid one to beholdwullieb1 is a splendid one to behold (752)

Personally i hate copying profiles.

But if you really need to then its the same process.
Old 16th April 2012, 04:38

Reputation: tehcamel is a name known to alltehcamel is a name known to alltehcamel is a name known to alltehcamel is a name known to alltehcamel is a name known to alltehcamel is a name known to all (646)

so the inbuilt migration wizard should do it for me then..

Melbourne IT Support

Old 16th April 2012, 07:29

Reputation: wullieb1 is a splendid one to beholdwullieb1 is a splendid one to beholdwullieb1 is a splendid one to beholdwullieb1 is a splendid one to beholdwullieb1 is a splendid one to beholdwullieb1 is a splendid one to beholdwullieb1 is a splendid one to behold (752)

I haven't tested it but i don't see why not.
Old 17th April 2012, 00:59
Casual
Casual

When looking for specific resources for domain to local migration I came across this thread on the TechNet forum which suggests the process to be as follows:

1. Create a local profile
2. Copy domain profile to local profile

A recommended tool for profile migration is the User State Migration Tool (USMT). For more information on this tool please defer to the following resources Windows 7 Walkthrough: User State Migration Tool and Migrating Files from Windows XP to Windows 7 in the event you are migrating from one Windows operating system to another. It’s a good idea to be sure of all that USMT migrates as can be found in What does USMT Migrate?. This is an excellent read as it outlines default migration scripts, user data, operating system components, supported applications and even what USMT does not migrate. Another helpful video that outlines the efficiency of USMT’s Hard-Link Migration feature can be found here.

When copying user profiles it is important to remember and verify the following:

• You cannot copy or delete a user profile that belongs to the currently logged on user or any user whose profile is in use.
• If you copy the profile to a new location, you must update the User Profile Path entry for the user's account to refer to this new location as well. Another resource for guidance with the USMT is the Step-by-Step migration guide for USMT 4.0. As the guide states, USMT 4.0 is now included with the Windows Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows 7 for which the ISO is available here.

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro
Old 17th April 2012, 09:04
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Ossian
 Reputation: Ossian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud of (1470)

@Jessica -- Does USMT now support domain to local profiles? -- AFAIK it is still only between domain environments and at least one MS link (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...(v=ws.10).aspx) more or less says that.
IT Trainer / Consultant
Ossian Ltd
Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 18th April 2012, 21:35
Casual
Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossian View Post
@Jessica -- Does USMT now support domain to local profiles? -- AFAIK it is still only between domain environments and at least one MS link (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...(v=ws.10).aspx) more or less says that.
Tom,

According to this TechNet article under "The LoadState Process" the 3rd bullet point for key point #3 is: "For each user profile selected from the store, LoadState creates a corresponding user profile on the destination computer. The destination computer does not need to be connected to the domain for domain user profiles to be created. If USMT cannot determine a domain, it attempts to apply the settings to a local account. For more information, see Identify Users."

I have just tried the steps I recommended and outlined above and USMT did indeed migrate all user accounts on computer a (domain joined) to computer b (not domain joined).

Hope this helps!

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team -- IT Pro
Old 19th April 2012, 10:33

I actually ended up using Easy Migration wizard.
Sure, not as cool, or time effective as scripting it with usmt etc.. but meh
and in honesty... writing and testing the usmt scripts in this instance would have been a poor use of time.. would have taken me longer than it did

Melbourne IT Support

Closed Thread