Petri.co.il forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Certification > MS Certification Track
Petri.co.il is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Microsoft certifications "reinvented"

Microsoft certifications "reinvented"

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 8325 times

Closed Thread

Old 12th April 2012, 00:49

6 month star 12 month star
  Send a message via Skype™ to tehcamel
 Reputation: tehcamel is a name known to alltehcamel is a name known to alltehcamel is a name known to alltehcamel is a name known to alltehcamel is a name known to alltehcamel is a name known to all (646)
Thumbs down Microsoft certifications "reinvented"

I got an email from Prometric this morning. Sure, it's a marketing email, they are trying to sell me exam sets.

But here's the gist of it:

"Microsoft has reinvented it's certification program"
That sounds good, right? I mean, sure it was done 3-4 years ago when they moved from MCP/MCSA/MCSE to MCTS and MCITP. Most everyone is now onboard - It's not like there isn't still recruiters looking for MCSE certifications.

So what do these new, wonderous certifications bring?

Well, they are apparently aimed at building cloud related skills. This is definitely important, as it's where the industry is going. The specific wording is "support the industry shift to cloud-computing by building cloud related and solution based skills validation...." (see how I bolded that S? You'll understand why later.)

One of the major changes at the bottom of this email, is the line "To keep pace with ever-changing technology, Microsoft certifications now require that you recertify every 2-3 years."

This is, probably, a good thing. I think it puts the certification more in line with Cisco certs.

However, here's the part that made me go WTF, is this an April Fools email?
Admittedly, I did read the email at 6:30am. So I've re-read it.

What are the new certificates called?

Well, there's an associate certificate. And an Expert certificate. And a Master certificate. Nicely structured, clear progression. That's good, right?

But let's not forget. These are Microsoft Certifications. So they need to start with an M for Microsoft, and then.. well, I guess a C for Certified.

So we'll all be Microsoft Certified Associates, or Experts, or Masters, right?

No.
Notice above, how I made that S bold ? The S stands for Solution.

So now, you'll be a Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert.

Say what?

I'm not at all saying they shouldn't be constantly updating curriculum and focus for certification - don't get me wrong. I'm sure they are fantastically relevant certs.

I just question the idiocy of the naming. We've spent 5 years now, trying to teach recruiters that "no, I don't have an MCSE, I have an MCITP, which is actually NEWER and more relevant"

why on EARTH would thye go back to the old naming scheme ?
Maybe it's because the old scheme was widely recognised?
It looks like the new "MCSA" Cert requirements are exactly the same as the MCITP:SA cert...

Melbourne IT Support

Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point
Old 12th April 2012, 01:08
Staying around

Default Re: Microsoft certifications "reinvented"

You may be on to something. Even today, I think the MCSE acronym is more widely recognized when compared to the MCITP. In conversations with others in the industry, I have noticed on several occasions that some have mixed up the letters in the MCITP cert. Never experienced this when referring to MCSE. I just don't see that the newer certification names have become a "household" name. It could just be me though...
Old 12th April 2012, 01:18
Administrator

Reputation: Wired is just really niceWired is just really niceWired is just really niceWired is just really nice (384)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/...fications.aspx
Old 12th April 2012, 07:17
Casual
Casual

haha.. tehcamel... that's right.. I've never thought of that..
Old 12th April 2012, 10:56
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Ossian
 Reputation: Ossian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud of (1470)

I found the same yesterday -- after all the "MCSE" is past it, its nice to have it back, but it seems very limited and confused at the moment.

It will also require re-education of recruiters etc as it will now be "MCSE(whatever)" rather than MCSE which everyone understood
IT Trainer / Consultant
Ossian Ltd
Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 13th April 2012, 00:27
Staying around

Some time ago I participated in a Microsoft survey about the naming of certifications. I also got the Prometric mailing, so that must be the result of the survey. The mcse seems quite limited at the moment.

MCITP sa, ea & va, sysadmin@cydonia.
Old 18th April 2012, 09:14
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Ossian
 Reputation: Ossian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud of (1470)

They appear to be doing a trawl of MCPs and awarding the new certs -- I just got an email "Congratulations on your new certification" and lo-and-behold I am now a "Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate in Server 2008" (email actually says "Server 2008 Core" which confused the hell out of me!)

Now, for someone who has a "real" MCSA, how do you record the "new" MCSA and differentiate between the two?
IT Trainer / Consultant
Ossian Ltd
Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 20th April 2012, 09:49
Staying around

Is also got a email with with "Congratulations on Your Microsoft Certification!" So now I'm also a new MCSA.

MCITP sa, ea & va, sysadmin@cydonia.
Old 20th April 2012, 11:36

Send a message via Skype™ to tehcamel
 Reputation: tehcamel is a name known to alltehcamel is a name known to alltehcamel is a name known to alltehcamel is a name known to alltehcamel is a name known to alltehcamel is a name known to all (646)

pretty sure mine now says "MCSA1" and "MCSA"

Melbourne IT Support

Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point
Old 20th May 2012, 18:50

Reputation: Dumber is a splendid one to beholdDumber is a splendid one to beholdDumber is a splendid one to beholdDumber is a splendid one to beholdDumber is a splendid one to beholdDumber is a splendid one to beholdDumber is a splendid one to behold (844)

I got the same message, that I'm a MCSA on Windows 2008, Dunno why and/or how, yet I fear it might lower the value of MCITP:Enterprise Administrator...

I also received an email about the new certification tracks.
I'm a bit lost now what Microsoft is doing.
First, it was MCSA/MCSE for years, then MCTS en MCITP. Ok fine, re-teaching my management, recruiters etc, now we are back with MCSA and MCSE yet they are different acronyms. That means re-teaching again. Will Microsoft gonna pay my many hours I've to put into it?

But besides bitching about the Microsoft who's keep turning there asses around I did notice this certification path, Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert - Private Cloud.

I think I'm gonna like that one and I only need to take 2 exams about system center 2012...
Never worked with System Center, let alone System Center 2012. The moment my Technet is renewed (it's expired ) I think I'm gonna to play with it in my lab environment.
http://www.phetios.com
http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
"No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
"If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Closed Thread