Petri.co.il forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Messaging Software > Outlook
Petri.co.il is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Outlook login box

Outlook login box

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 5051 times

Closed Thread

Old 19th March 2007, 10:58
Casual
Casual

6 month star 12 month star
 Reputation: SmileyFella is an unknown quantity at this point (2)
Default Outlook login box

outlook, normal deskop version, 2003.
Connecting to a Windows 2000 server.

frequently re-displays the login dialog box during an outlook session and stops the session until the password is re-entered.

Any idea why or what setting controls this?

Paul
Old 19th March 2007, 20:04
It's not a coincidence

Default Re: Outlook login box

can you check something for me? the next time this happens, don't log in and check the Users account on AD and see if it is locked, sometimes this happens to us and we're not sure why either
Old 19th March 2007, 20:43
Casual
Casual

Smile Re: Outlook login box

Lots of things cad do that.
1. user account is diabled.
2. user changed password on one system and using other system(not on the network at the time user chagned the password) to access the outlook.
3. user is using own home PC (on workgroup not on a domain)
4. firewall is blocking AD traffic.
5. dial-up,VPN is too slow.
6. user is using earth-link as ISP ----never use earthlink.
7. user is excuting script and supplied user is and password to run it and changed the password and forgot. -> that will lockup user account constantly.
8. computer account is expired.

good luck.
Old 20th March 2007, 02:26
Casual
Casual

Reputation: SmileyFella is an unknown quantity at this point (2)

Right. Thanks.

I will do a little more digging.
Old 20th March 2007, 16:28
Casual
Casual

SmileyFella - I have had very similar problems (perhaps the same thing) in a couple of different companies. In both cases I was using Outlook 2000 client connected to Exchange (not sure of the Exchange version), on a notebook not part of the company domain (I am a contractor and I don't let them mess with my machine!). The message is "The logon credentials supplied were incorrect. Make sure your username and domain are correct, then type your password again."

Nearly all the time, the password would be accepted on the first try, else sometimes after cancelling the prompt, clicking Send/Receive, and filling in the password on another of the same prompts. See if this applies in your case too.

I would rarely be blocked for more than a few seconds, so I think out of hyeongkim's suggestions the following don't apply (unless there is such a thing as a transient AD lock):
Quote:
1. user account is diabled.
2. user changed password on one system and using other system(not on the network at the time user chagned the password) to access the outlook.
7. user is excuting script and supplied user is and password to run it and changed the password and forgot. -> that will lockup user account constantly.
8. computer account is expired.
As for the other suggestions:
Quote:
3. user is using own home PC (on workgroup not on a domain)
- definitely applies in my case - does it in yours?

Quote:
4. firewall is blocking AD traffic.
- This is an important factor. I use ZoneAlarm - do you have a personal firewall?

If I reboot and either don't start the firewall, or shut it down before going into Outlook, the problem did not occur. Of course, that's not an acceptable solution.

But with the same version and without additional permissions, it's working fine now.

Quote:
5. dial-up,VPN is too slow.
- I found this problem while LAN-attached in the same building as the exchange server, so it's not a specific cause.

Some other suggestions I've noted:
- It could be related to the option to update free/busy data every xx minutes. You could experiment with disabling this or changing the interval.
- The registry keys HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa\lmcompatibilitylevel or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Rpc\ClientPr otocols could be involved (either on the client machine or the Outlook machine) - I have not saved the original articles but you could STW.

Sorry I don't have anything definitive to recommend, but I'm fairly sure it's linked to not being on the domain and some kind of communication with AD being blocked, filtered or delayed by a firewall. I also suspect that some settings, options or patches on the exchange server can affect it (otherwise I'd still have it now).

Joe
Closed Thread