Petri.co.il forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Other > Misc
Petri.co.il is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Ghost Network Booting

Ghost Network Booting

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 2685 times

Closed Thread

Old 24th December 2007, 18:14
It's not a coincidence

6 month star 12 month star
Red face Ghost Network Booting

Heya,

Playing around with ghost - at the moment using cd's and such to boot a machine to and then connect to IP and drag down an image onto the machines...

Is there any nice step-by-step guides on being able to network boot without the cd's etc. (PXE Boots?)

tis symantec ghost 11 by the way...

Thanks
Old 25th December 2007, 07:41

Reputation: sorinso is a name known to allsorinso is a name known to allsorinso is a name known to allsorinso is a name known to allsorinso is a name known to allsorinso is a name known to all (561)
Lightbulb Re: Ghost Network Booting

There are quite a few, but how detailed you want it to be?
BTW, your NIC should be PXE compatible to be able to boot from network. Although most of the brand names by default include that, it is not obvious that your NIC does that. Bootix has a solution for that.

Links:
- http://thesystemadministrator.com/Th...ment_-_Part_1/
- http://thesystemadministrator.com/th...onis_-_part_2/
- http://www.sweetnam.eu/index.php/PXE...rt_Rough_Howto
- http://home.allegiance.tv/~joem298/

Disclaimer:
1. I did not check any of these articles myself, so you should follow them at your own responsibility.
2. I am not affiliated with Bootix in any way. I am not suggesting you to buy it's products, just to let you know there is a solution. There might be others too.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
- Bill Cosby
Old 27th December 2007, 14:27
It's not a coincidence

Default Re: Ghost Network Booting

Thats great thanks.

its a new intel nic...

will it need dhcp to run properly? cause its all static...

------

So, putting that on hold...

whats the easiest way to make a USB bootable drive with multiple drivers on to boot to ghost...? (actually i think theres an option in ghost for that...)

Last edited by Lan; 27th December 2007 at 15:05..
Old 27th December 2007, 17:11

Reputation: sorinso is a name known to allsorinso is a name known to allsorinso is a name known to allsorinso is a name known to allsorinso is a name known to allsorinso is a name known to all (561)
Lightbulb Re: Ghost Network Booting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan View Post
its a new intel nic...
Then it should be PXE compatible.
Quote:
will it need dhcp to run properly? cause its all static...
Actually, not. I hope you distribute a computer image that was "touched" by SysPrep. This way, you don't have to worry about SID, hostname and IP. If not, there are only troubles ahead, dude.

Quote:
whats the easiest way to make a USB bootable drive with multiple drivers on to boot to ghost...? (actually i think theres an option in ghost for that...)
Why do you need bootable USB, when the NIC is PXE? Set the boot sequence in BIOS to start from the network (or set HD, then network) and that's all.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
- Bill Cosby
Old 27th December 2007, 18:02
It's not a coincidence

Yea, its pxe compatable - In the bios the settings are off/on/on with image server (dellstuff) and on with pxe

when starting up the pxe it starts looking for a DHCP server then gave up... from memory i can't remember seeing pxe working without having a dhcp server to grab an address from... how do you tell PXE to use a specific ip...?

and it'll definately be syspreped when I get a chance - at the moment i was just trying to get it working via the network - there's no dhcp server though...
so I was thinking of skipping back to USB bootable then the lil' ghost session you can specific IP and server IP to connect to and do it that way.
Old 27th December 2007, 18:49

Take a look at the first article I gave you in post #2 and you'll see that one of the components of a PXE server is the DHCP server.

Sorin Solomon

- Bill Cosby
Old 28th December 2007, 00:28
Administrator

Reputation: biggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to behold (766)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan
when starting up the pxe it starts looking for a DHCP server then gave up...
What was the error code when it wouldn't PXE boot?

I also think we now need to know something about your network setup.
What is DHCP running on?
What operating system is the PXE environment running on?
More info along these lines. Ta.
"There I stood at the bar, wearing a Mae West, no jacket, and beginning to leak blood from my torn boot. None of the golfers took any notice of me - after all, I wasn't a member!" Kenneth Lee - after being shot down during the Battle of Britain on the 18th August 1940.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 28th December 2007, 04:21

Reputation: wullieb1 is a splendid one to beholdwullieb1 is a splendid one to beholdwullieb1 is a splendid one to beholdwullieb1 is a splendid one to beholdwullieb1 is a splendid one to beholdwullieb1 is a splendid one to beholdwullieb1 is a splendid one to behold (752)

I always thought it did need a DCHP service to work. From memory you cannot assign a static IP to a PXE client. I could be wrong though as it has been a while since i worked with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preboot...on_Environment

What you colud try is using GhostCast with RIS, http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...02101612025325 i could be way off track though as the version here is 7.5.

We used to use it and it worked fine for us.

*EDIT*

You could also just create a network bootdisk and connect to a network share and load ghost from there.

You could also create a WinPE CD and boot into a 32 bit enviornment and run ghost32 from a network share.

Last edited by wullieb1; 28th December 2007 at 04:23.. Reason: Another thought
Old 28th December 2007, 13:59
It's not a coincidence

Yea, I am now starting to think it'd need a DHCP server...

The PXE was going to run on an XP box with ghost and the images and such on. that was its sole purpose...

at the moment its just used to connect to to dump and drag images from but there are lots of ghost boot discs laying around and it'd be nice to tidy them all up - then i thought it'd be nice to just have none...
Old 28th December 2007, 19:48
Administrator

Reputation: Wired is just really niceWired is just really niceWired is just really niceWired is just really nice (384)

We have a "server" w/ GhostCast Server 8 on it that's on its own VLAN. When we need to ghost PCs here, we hook it up to that VLAN (1 port w/ a switch for multiple PCs) and boot off of a USB stick or CD that's set up for multiple systems, join the session, and that's it. It's possible to ghost from a different VLAN, you just have to do Unicast and specify the server IP on the client.

Never actually looked at our boot disks, but I'll check them out, see how they're done. I know that the creator of them made a custom boot screen where we select the NIC / computer model(s), loads the driver, then boots ghost client.