Petri.co.il forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Server Operating Systems > Windows Server 2000 / 2003 / 2003 R2
Petri.co.il is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

How to change operating system string (win 2003 -> XP)

How to change operating system string (win 2003 -> XP)

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1853 times

Closed Thread

Old 13th March 2008, 10:07
Casual
Casual

6 month star 12 month star
Thumbs up How to change operating system string (win 2003 -> XP)

Hi.

I'm trying to install certain software on a Windows Server 2003. Problem is, this software refuses to install on 2003, since it claims it only supports 2000/XP.
I'm pretty confident that it will run without a problem, so I'd like to give it a shot.

How would I change ( or 'spoof ) the operating system version?

'System Properties -> Advanced -> Environment Variables -> System Variables -> OS' doesn't seem to contain the appropriate string.

Thank you very much!
Old 13th March 2008, 10:52
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Ossian
 Reputation: Ossian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud of (1470)
Default Re: How to change operating system string (win 2003 -> XP)

What is the software?

Normally servers are very intolerant of non-approved software and you should be careful not to break business critical applications by doing things you shouldn't.

IMHO, use an XP box (maybe on Virtual PC) if you really need to run this application.
IT Trainer / Consultant
Ossian Ltd
Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 13th March 2008, 10:53

Send a message via MSN to m80arm Send a message via Skype™ to m80arm
 Reputation: m80arm is just really nicem80arm is just really nicem80arm is just really nicem80arm is just really nice (359)

I would recommend against this if I was you. You could introduce more issues. What happens when it comes to patch Tuesday and your server thinks it's XP?

Michael

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points To grant some reputation points to the user that helped you, just click on the little Yin-Yang icon on the right of the user's answer and follow the prompt. where appropriate **
Old 13th March 2008, 14:53

Reputation: joeqwerty is a name known to alljoeqwerty is a name known to alljoeqwerty is a name known to alljoeqwerty is a name known to alljoeqwerty is a name known to alljoeqwerty is a name known to all (647)

The ultimate goal is to install and run the software and make it think the host OS is Windows XP, not to make Windows 2003 think it's Windows XP right? If the installer is an .exe file you can right click it, select properties, select the compatibility tab and set the appropriate compatibility level. After the program installs, right click it's main executable and do the same thing.
Old 13th March 2008, 15:16
Administrator

Reputation: biggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to behold (766)

Before anyone suggest it, be wary of posting anything that may contravene Microsofts EULA. Any such post will be dealt with severely. Thanks.
"There I stood at the bar, wearing a Mae West, no jacket, and beginning to leak blood from my torn boot. None of the golfers took any notice of me - after all, I wasn't a member!" Kenneth Lee - after being shot down during the Battle of Britain on the 18th August 1940.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 17th March 2008, 09:27
Casual
Casual

Wow! I didn't expect to receive so many replies. Thank you guys!

Ossian, I am actually using this OS for my desktop. (I had a fully legal copy).

m80arm, right.

joeqwerty, bingo! That did it. (I totally forgot about compatibility mode)
Thank you very much!
Closed Thread