Petri.co.il forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Server Operating Systems > Windows Server 2000 / 2003 / 2003 R2
Petri.co.il is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

70% of processor is red in Task Manager

70% of processor is red in Task Manager

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 2439 times

Closed Thread

Old 12th May 2008, 18:59
Casual
Casual

6 month star 12 month star
Default 70% of processor is red in Task Manager

I have an older Windows 2000 Advance Server machine that runs two Pentium III processors. When I run Task Manager and look at Performance, under CPU usage, part of that self refreshing gadget is always red. When the server is under, say, 75% CPU usage, 70% + of what is green is red.

Any ideas why this would be and if I should be concerned?
Old 12th May 2008, 22:35
Guru

Reputation: rvalstar is just really nicervalstar is just really nicervalstar is just really nicervalstar is just really nice (376)
Default Re: 70% of processor is red in Task Manager

"red" meaning kernel times?

On the "Processes" tab, sort by CPU descending and report which process(es) is(are) consuming the CPU.

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points Click on that post's Yin-Yang icon where appropriate **

2006-2013 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.
Old 12th May 2008, 22:45
Casual
Casual

SQL Server, aspnet_wp, and System Idle Process
Old 12th May 2008, 23:05
Guru

Reputation: rvalstar is just really nicervalstar is just really nicervalstar is just really nicervalstar is just really nice (376)

System Idle Process aside, what kind of web site (aspnet_wp) are you running? And I take it the site talks to SQL Server? Just trying to see what load may have changed on your antique dual P3 (Tualatin?) system w/ 1GB of 133 MHz memory?

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points Click on that post's Yin-Yang icon where appropriate **

2006-2013 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.
Old 12th May 2008, 23:12
Casual
Casual

It is a dynamic data access application that uses SQL Server. All data access is performed through stored procedures. The server also houses three or four ASP.NET 1.1 applications.
Old 13th May 2008, 00:02
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAce View Post
It is a dynamic data access application that uses SQL Server. All data access is performed through stored procedures. The server also houses three or four ASP.NET 1.1 applications.
Are you pulling a bunch of disk I/O with SQL Server? That may come across as kernel CPU. Do you know how to monitor that using PERFMON?

I had a dual Tualatin 1.26 GHz system w/ 1GB of PC133 RAM for a number of years. Finally retired it 2 years ago. Given the cheapest desktop will outperform your server, I'm wondering what your goal is in this exercise?

Rick

Old 13th May 2008, 00:49
Casual
Casual

I inherited this application from another programmer, so it is not the most efficient application. It didn't even utilize connection pooling. We are fixing that now. Anyway, I was just looking through Task Manager and saw the red and got concerned. I will use prefmon to look at SQL Server. Thanks.
Closed Thread