Petri.co.il forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Virtualization > VMware Virtualization
Petri.co.il is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

ESXi Free VMWare Download

ESXi Free VMWare Download

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 6441 times

Closed Thread

Old 14th December 2008, 17:37
Here to help

6 month star 12 month star
Unhappy ESXi Free VMWare Download

Hi,

I am a WMWare VCP (a year or so) but I don't get much chance to use VMWare at work ... a bit but not much so it was with some interest that I was told about ESXi freely downloadable, kinda looks/acts like normal ESX etc. I was also told it would work with normal desktop style drives.

So I downloaded it only to find that it won't install on anything other than some SCSI and some RAID (maybe it does install on IDE but like, I guess, most people these days I have been on SATA for quite some time) ... it seems to have the exact same limitations that the full product has so I'm kinda left wondering why VMWare bothered to launch this cut down free version?

Am I missing something because right now it seems the only way I can go is VMWare server which, whilst entirely competent, is not what I need to use to keep my skills in reasonable shape.

Any ideas?

Kyu
Old 14th December 2008, 18:10
Wrote the book

Reputation: gforceindustries is a jewel in the roughgforceindustries is a jewel in the roughgforceindustries is a jewel in the roughgforceindustries is a jewel in the rough (310)
Default Re: ESXi Free VMWare Download

Every piece of software has hardware requirements, and some are more specific than others. I would expect the point behind making ESXi available for free would be to help VMware retain their market share (especially when Xen and Hyper-V are also free) and to ensure that their enterprise class products are accessible to those without corporate budgets, so that people can become skilled with the tools and therefore increase the chance of their companies purchasing the full product.

[quote=Kyuuketsuki;138763]Am I missing something because right now it seems the only way I can go is VMWare server which, whilst entirely competent, is not what I need to use to keep my skills in reasonable shape/quote]

Or Microsoft Virtual Server, or VMware Workstation or Hyper-V, or...

I'm curious, in what way is VMware Server not adequate?

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Last edited by gforceindustries; 14th December 2008 at 18:13..
Old 14th December 2008, 19:09
Here to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by gforceindustries View Post
I'm curious, in what way is VMware Server not adequate?
If all I wanted was virtualisation then yeah, any of the others would be fine but I really want to keep my [VMWare ESX] skills in reasonable shape

There's the resource issue too (ESX is more efficient on resources than VMWare server or, to my knowledge, any of the MS virtualisation products) but the above is my main reason.

Thanks for the reply.

Kyu

Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 14th December 2008 at 19:14..
Old 15th December 2008, 00:06
Here to help

Question Re: ESXi Free VMWare Download

More on this ..

Just to see if it could see it I have powered ESXi up on my laptop (IDE 2.5" drive), my own PC (3.5" SATA 2 drive, non-raid), my current server (IBM X206 with a 160Gb IDE boot drive and a 600Gb XGFX Revo RAID, usually seen by OS's as straight IDE i.e. driverless) and a DELL 1600SC with varied SCSI cards and arrays ... the only system that ESXi can see a drive on is the DELL but it can only see a single SCSI drive (it can't see any storage on the rest).

Does anyone know how to make VMWare ESXi "see" normal hardware (specifically SATA & IDE drives)? Has anyone got it to install on anything like that?

Kyu
Old 15th December 2008, 00:13

Send a message via MSN to Maish Send a message via Skype™ to Maish
 Reputation: Maish will become famous soon enoughMaish will become famous soon enough (102)

This will get you started

http://www.vm-help.com/

ESX Whitebox list
VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
A proud husband and father of 3 girls
----------------------------------------------------------
If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points .

Have a good one!!
Old 15th December 2008, 00:55
Wrote the book

Reputation: gforceindustries is a jewel in the roughgforceindustries is a jewel in the roughgforceindustries is a jewel in the roughgforceindustries is a jewel in the rough (310)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuuketsuki View Post
ESX is more efficient on resources than VMWare server
Apples and oranges. One is an application installed under an OS, the other *is* the OS. What are you basing this on?

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.
Old 17th December 2008, 06:38
Casual
Casual

Hi there,

I have found the best way to keep your skills up on ESX on a limited budget is to load Vmware Workstation 6 onto your PC then go through the guide here. www.happyrouter.com to show you how to install ESX or ESXi into Workstation 6. I have this working really well 2 x ESX Hosts and a ISCSI VM for storage. Also the Train Signal ESX video explains this in detail.. www.trainsignal.com

This will not work straight onto the hardware you mentioned.

Check the HCL at vmware for supported hardware, Could alway buy a server off Ebay for training just make sure it is on the HCL.

Chris (VCP)
Old 22nd January 2009, 16:28
Here to help

Thumbs up Re: ESXi Free VMWare Download

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maish View Post
Great site ... thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfoo View Post
This will not work straight onto the hardware you mentioned. Check the HCL at vmware for supported hardware, Could alway buy a server off Ebay for training just make sure it is on the HCL.
Thanks for the resource limks

Yuu're right ... I am planning to buy a 146GB SCSI drive off eBay and us that for my ESX and then either configure my old server as a NAS (easy enough, I as there is a Linux NAS, hopefully that will work OK) or buy an Adaptec 2410SA serial ATA RAID card which according to VM-Help works with ESXi.

In some ways the NAS seems a better way forward since I can treat that a bit more like a SAN.

Kyu
Old 30th January 2009, 22:04
Casual
Casual

Send a message via AIM to Enforcer

I currently have my ESXi 3.5 u2 environment booting from a 4GB USB Key and then use the drives onboard as datastores as well as FreeNAS on another box with a gigabit crossover cable and it runs nice
Old 4th February 2009, 12:47
Here to help

Question Re: ESXi Free VMWare Download

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post
I currently have my ESXi 3.5 u2 environment booting from a 4GB USB Key and then use the drives onboard as datastores as well as FreeNAS on another box with a gigabit crossover cable and it runs nice
Cool ... one question, do you make your NAS available to other systems or is stuff on it only available through ESX hosted VM's?

Kyu
Closed Thread