Petri.co.il forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Networking > General Networking
Petri.co.il is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Wireless Connection stability issue in crowded office environment

Wireless Connection stability issue in crowded office environment

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 2973 times

Closed Thread

Old 30th July 2009, 16:35
Someone to look up to

6 month star 12 month star
Question Wireless Connection stability issue in crowded office environment

Hi All,

I'm now having problem with my wireless access point in my office,

I've tried the following in order one by one and never run more than two of these:

Linksys WRT54G - running mixed mode B & G WPA-PSK personal - Channel 3

Linksys WRT 310N - running mixed mode B & G & N WPA-PSK personal - Channel 9

D-Link DSL-G604T Gen. II
- Running default mode WPA-PSK personal - Channel 3

i couldn't get steady ping reply when i ping the AP, and from the Netstumbler, I've found out that
the other offices around are running CISCO Aironet AP with channel 1, 6 and 11 wireless G

is there any thing that i should pay attention to ? Because this is quite annoying to suffer with non stable AP.

Thanks.
Old 30th July 2009, 16:52

Reputation: joeqwerty is a name known to alljoeqwerty is a name known to alljoeqwerty is a name known to alljoeqwerty is a name known to alljoeqwerty is a name known to alljoeqwerty is a name known to all (647)
Default Re: Wireless Connection stability issue in crowded office environment

What do you mean by "unstable". Is it a performance issye or a connectivity issue?
Old 30th July 2009, 17:00
Administrator

Reputation: biggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to beholdbiggles77 is a splendid one to behold (766)

Channels 1, 6 and 11 are the only 3 channels that do NOT over lap. http://www.alaneden.info/blog.php?pa...d=200704051722 From the top image you can see that Channel overlaps with everything between Channel 2 and Channel 10. Depending on the signal strength of the other APs, this can drown your signal. One way to get yours to work is change to the weakest channel (out of 1, 6 and 11 ) that you can detect in your office, setup your AP on that channel and then boost the signal output to 100%. This may drown the other signal and make yours the dominant one.

Looking at your post this is unlikely as the Linksys used to be set with a default signal power output of 30% of the total available. It required a hack from HyperWAP to allow you to boost the output to 100%.

The Cisco APs are more than likely transmitting on full power so the possibility of over powering them is slight. You could always line your office walls with tin foil and that would reduce the strenght of the other signals substantially.

Last option that I can think of is to get an 802.11n AP. This transmits in the 5GHz band (11g transmits in the 2.4GHz band) so you won't have the signal conflict problem. The computers you are using will also need 11n wireless network adapters.

Please note the devices you have listed in bold that you have tried are really domestic products and are not designed for business use (even though so many do use them).
"There I stood at the bar, wearing a Mae West, no jacket, and beginning to leak blood from my torn boot. None of the golfers took any notice of me - after all, I wasn't a member!" Kenneth Lee - after being shot down during the Battle of Britain on the 18th August 1940.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 30th July 2009, 17:14
Someone to look up to

Thanks for the response mate, at the moment I am trying to find the root cause of intermittent network failure before getting the Cisco Aironet 1250 Series which is very expensive for a Medium Office 45 users.

performance is not a problem though.
Old 30th July 2009, 17:14
Someone to look up to

Send a message via MSN to scurlaruntings

Sounds like possible cross talk or a defective radio/reciever. Try the AP on diffrent channels and see if that helps.
Old 30th July 2009, 17:20

Reputation: joeqwerty is a name known to alljoeqwerty is a name known to alljoeqwerty is a name known to alljoeqwerty is a name known to alljoeqwerty is a name known to alljoeqwerty is a name known to all (647)

Seriously, Albert. You haven't given us very specific information on the problem. We're all assuming that you're having a connectivity problem, but you know what they say about assumptions...

Can you give us more detail on what's been happening? Thanks much.
Old 30th July 2009, 17:21
Someone to look up to

a first it went fine but after few hours of running one AP at once i need to power cycle the AP.

i wonder if this is the case of my "small" AP is disrupted with those CISCO device

even now I am thinking to get a booster antenna but yes i need to give a compelling reason to my director before i purchase those equipment.

thanks for the reply.
Old 30th July 2009, 17:28
Someone to look up to

Question Re: Wireless Connection stability issue in crowded office environment

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeqwerty View Post
Seriously, Albert. You haven't given us very specific information on the problem. We're all assuming that you're having a connectivity problem, but you know what they say about assumptions...

Can you give us more detail on what's been happening? Thanks much.
Hi Joe,

it is all about the connectivity issue not a performance

I've moved this AP to different spot with different cable and Wall jack in my office but still doesn't work properly.

but surprisingly it runs perfectly at my home though
Old 30th July 2009, 17:44

Thanks, A. The wireless clients are dropping their connections then? You could try using a wireless site survey to map out the signals in the office and determine where the best spot for your AP would be. The one I use is free at:

http://www.ekahau.com/products/heatmapper/overview.html
Old 30th July 2009, 17:54
Someone to look up to

Thumbs up Re: Wireless Connection stability issue in crowded office environment

thanks Joe for your suggestion,

I shall get back to you with the result in the next 8 hrs as i have to sleep now.

Cheers.
Closed Thread