Petri.co.il forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Client Operating Systems > Windows 2000 Pro, XP Pro
Petri.co.il is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Turn Off XP SP2 Open File Security Warning

Turn Off XP SP2 Open File Security Warning

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 129195 times

Closed Thread

Old 18th July 2005, 14:00

6 month star 12 month star
 Reputation: tonyyeb is a jewel in the roughtonyyeb is a jewel in the roughtonyyeb is a jewel in the rough (283)
Default Turn Off XP SP2 Open File Security Warning

I have created a link to Word 2003, Excel 2003 etc.. on the shared desktop (redirected folder) of our staff but when they double click on them it prompts with the Open File Security Warning. But if they go to Programs -> Office 2003 -> Word it doesn't prompt. I have tried copying those shortcuts to the shared desktop but to no avail. Is there anyway of turning this off?

Thanks

PS - I would add a screen shot to this but for some reason there isn't the option to in this area of the forum.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points To grant some reputation points to the user that helped you, just click on the little Yin-Yang icon on the right of the user's answer and follow the prompt. where appropriate **
Old 18th July 2005, 16:44
Someone to look up to

Reputation: topper is just really nicetopper is just really nicetopper is just really nicetopper is just really nice (369)
Default RE: Turn Off XP SP2 Open File Security Warning

add \\server\sharename (where your shared desktop is held) into your trusted sites within IE.

Strange I know but trust me !!

topper
Old 18th July 2005, 17:28

Reputation: tonyyeb is a jewel in the roughtonyyeb is a jewel in the roughtonyyeb is a jewel in the rough (283)
Default RE: Turn Off XP SP2 Open File Security Warning

Cheers topper. I had eventually found that on google. Thanks anyway. It does work!

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points To grant some reputation points to the user that helped you, just click on the little Yin-Yang icon on the right of the user's answer and follow the prompt. where appropriate **
Old 3rd January 2007, 09:39
Casual
It's not a coincidence

Default Re: Turn Off XP SP2 Open File Security Warning

Hi Topper

I was wondering if i could get some help of yours. I'm having the same problem with what tonyyeb was having before.

The only difference is that instead of words or excel, this is with microsoft Access Application. I can only open it if i run the Access application first and then open the file from there.

I have a network with several windows XP workstations and a SBS 2003 server. All the files are stored on the server. And we normally work on the files on the server rather than copying and paste them onto our local machines.

Anyway, I have tried what you instructed there but it still doesn't work.

I'm still getting the "open file - Security Warning" dialog box everytime i double-click on the Access files on the server.

Any ideas?

I have also attached the picture of it. so please find the attached file.

Thank you in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	access.JPG
Views:	611
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	1023  
Old 3rd January 2007, 16:04

Reputation: JeremyW is a name known to allJeremyW is a name known to allJeremyW is a name known to allJeremyW is a name known to allJeremyW is a name known to allJeremyW is a name known to all (550)

Hope you don't mind someone else jumping in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by associates View Post
Anyway, I have tried what you instructed there but it still doesn't work.
What is the path that you entered?

Also have a look at this http://windowsxp.mvps.org/networkfile.htm

Network Consultant/Engineer
Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
www.gma-cpa.com
Old 4th January 2007, 01:04
Casual
It's not a coincidence

Thank you JeremyW for your reply.

The path i entered was \\192.168.2.10\mysharedfolder\

I already visited the link you gave me before i found this forum and tried it like it said there but still no good.

Anything else that i should try?

Thank you in advance
Old 4th January 2007, 01:11
Guru

Reputation: rvalstar is just really nicervalstar is just really nicervalstar is just really nicervalstar is just really nice (376)

And you added 192.168.2.10 to the trusted sites in IE with a security level of "low" for trusted sites?

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points Click on that post's Yin-Yang icon where appropriate **

2006-2013 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.
Old 4th January 2007, 01:24

Reputation: JeremyW is a name known to allJeremyW is a name known to allJeremyW is a name known to allJeremyW is a name known to allJeremyW is a name known to allJeremyW is a name known to all (550)

Also check out this
http://www.mcse.ms/message1030070.html

www.gma-cpa.com
Old 5th January 2007, 02:05
Casual
It's not a coincidence

Thank you JeremyW and rvalstar for your replies.

No, still doesn't work. I think i have miscommunicated it to you. These files (Access MDB) reside on the server. So when i connect my laptop or other workstations to the network and double-click on the Access file from my machine, i got the open file security warning dialog box. But if i copied that file from the server to my local machine, i do not get that dialog box. Do you think this is to do with network permission? I have made the folder shared on the server to let everyone access to it. I can't think of anything else.

Thank you in advance
Old 5th January 2007, 03:43

Yes, I think we understand that.

From the link http://www.mcse.ms/message1030070.html
Quote:
Run gpedit.msc, and go to Local Computer Policy\User

Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows

Components\Attachment Manager
and enable "Default risk level for file

attachments
", and then enable "Inclusion list for low risk file types"

and add to this list the file extensions that you want to open without

triggering this crap.
Did you try this?
Actually, only Inclusion list for low risk file types should need to be configured.

www.gma-cpa.com
Closed Thread