Petri.co.il forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Server Operating Systems > SBS 2008 / 2011
Petri.co.il is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

SBS 2003 - SBS 2011 Exchange Mailbox & Public Folder Migration Only

SBS 2003 - SBS 2011 Exchange Mailbox & Public Folder Migration Only

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 7616 times

Closed Thread

Old 6th June 2012, 14:05
Casual
It's not a coincidence

6 month star 12 month star
Default SBS 2003 - SBS 2011 Exchange Mailbox & Public Folder Migration Only

Hey All,

I am preparing a SBS 2003 to SBS 2011 migration and have a question. I want the SBS 2011 to be a brand new, clean install (new domain and everything) and am not too bothered about having to manually copy over user accounts (there are only 4) and data. The only thing I am considering is how I will transfer over the Exchange mailboxes (and two public folders). As I say I dont want to introduce the SBS 2003 box to the 2011 domain - so should I just export as PST and import into SBS 2011? Can i do the same with Public Folders?

Cheers for any advice
Old 6th June 2012, 14:45
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Ossian
 Reputation: Ossian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud of (1470)
Default Re: SBS 2003 - SBS 2011 Exchange Mailbox & Public Folder Migration Only

Yes and Yes -- note that you will need to create empty PFs, set permissions and copy the contents back into them, but with 2 folders, this is not a major issue

Get users to clean up their mailboxes first -- deleted items, junk, old sent items....
IT Trainer / Consultant
Ossian Ltd
Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 7th June 2012, 19:09

Send a message via MSN to teiger
 Reputation: teiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to behold (757)

And set the old server to retain deleted items only for a day - or not at all.
Also turn on circular logging util you are finished the migration on the new server.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
http://www.wintra.co.il/

Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.
Old 7th June 2012, 22:22
Casual
It's not a coincidence

Thanks for the responses.

@Ossian - Im guessing i do all of this with Outlook client (ie exporting and importing mailboxes and public folders)? Or do i need to use EMC to import?

@teiger - Im guessing you mean exchange. How come the changes? What will they do?

Cheers
Old 8th June 2012, 11:36
Administrator

Reputation: Ossian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud of (1470)

Outlook is (IMHO) preferable, and get users to do it themselves (or be with them) so they cannot complain about anything missing!
You will also have to do something about incoming email -- again IMHO the best thing is to have the new server fully ready to go and move incoming mail to that before you do the export from the old Exchange
IT Trainer / Consultant
Ossian Ltd
Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 9th June 2012, 11:42

Send a message via MSN to teiger
 Reputation: teiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to beholdteiger is a splendid one to behold (757)

You are going to be moving a lot of mail around during the migration. Retaining deleted items for 30 days doen't make sense when you know you are exporting/importing it to another server. It just keeps you mailbox size artificially high.
Similarly you don't need to keep a "record" of the transactions during import, so using circular logging keeps unnecessary log files off your new server during the migration.
One other thing to remember is to remove quotas during the migration. There is nothing more frustrating than getting 60/70/80% through a migration then finding it bombs out because a user has hit their quota.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
http://www.wintra.co.il/

Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.
Old 9th June 2012, 12:58
Casual
It's not a coincidence

@Ossian - Thank you. Email volume over the weekend (when the move will happen) is 99% spam so I'm not too worried about that

@teiger - Thanks for explaining. Those are great points to remember

EDIT: Just thought of another question (last one!) - the current server has an SSL certificate from GoDaddy setup. Is there anything special I need to do to get it in SBS 2011? Do i need to revoke the old cert and reissue to 2011? Any online tutorials? Cheers

Last edited by Major_Disaster; 9th June 2012 at 13:02..
Old 9th June 2012, 13:05
Administrator

You will need to re-generate the cert -- I cannot remember if GoDaddy allow you to do that (they call it re-keying) after the first 30 days. Also for SBS 2011 you will need a SAN certificate (with multiple names and you may have a single name certificate at the moment

IMHO the price is low enough that you should just buy a new SAN certificate (5 names is ample). The old one can be revoked or left to expire.
IT Trainer / Consultant
Ossian Ltd
Scotland

Closed Thread