Petri.co.il forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Server Operating Systems > Windows Server 2012 / 2012 R2
Petri.co.il is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Server 2012 trust relationship

Server 2012 trust relationship

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 2562 times

Closed Thread

Old 18th November 2012, 20:21
Casual
Casual

6 month star 12 month star
Default Server 2012 trust relationship

Can anyone tell me how, if possible, to create a trust relationship between a Server outside of the domain and the domain controller such that the non domain machine can use domain user accounts.

The whole scenario is all on one physical machine, with a Hyper-V host partition running the domain controller virtual machine. I need to create a share on a different drive from the hyper-v host to be available from within the domain controller VM. This means that I need for the hyper-v host to be able to see and use user accounts on the domain controller.

Can I setup a trust relationship which will allow this?
Old 18th November 2012, 20:37

Reputation: joeqwerty is a name known to alljoeqwerty is a name known to alljoeqwerty is a name known to alljoeqwerty is a name known to alljoeqwerty is a name known to alljoeqwerty is a name known to all (647)
Default Re: Server 2012 trust relationship

As I stated over on SF, the better solution would be to add another VHD to the VM and configure WSUS to store the updates on the new VHD.

You're making it infiniltely more difficult by trying to store the WSUS updates on a non-domain joined server.
Old 18th November 2012, 20:52
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Ossian
 Reputation: Ossian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud ofOssian has much to be proud of (1470)

There is clearly more to this than originally posted (where does WSUS come into it?) so perhaps Nick_C could explain a bit more clearly, or even link to the thread Joe refers to
IT Trainer / Consultant
Ossian Ltd
Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **
Old 18th November 2012, 20:52
Casual
Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeqwerty View Post
As I stated over on SF, the better solution would be to add another VHD to the VM and configure WSUS to store the updates on the new VHD.

You're making it infiniltely more difficult by trying to store the WSUS updates on a non-domain joined server.
Yep, clearly what I am trying to do is not the right way. I am maybe approaching the problem from a traditional viewpoint rather than from a virtualised viewpoint.

Thanks
Old 18th November 2012, 20:53

Reputation: joeqwerty is a name known to alljoeqwerty is a name known to alljoeqwerty is a name known to alljoeqwerty is a name known to alljoeqwerty is a name known to alljoeqwerty is a name known to all (647)

Glad to help...
Old 18th November 2012, 21:33
Casual
Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossian View Post
There is clearly more to this than originally posted (where does WSUS come into it?) so perhaps Nick_C could explain a bit more clearly, or even link to the thread Joe refers to
Actually a couple of threads:
Sorry can't post this apparently - "You are only allowed to post URL's to other sites after you have made 5 posts or more"

I think this has more to do with me not using virtualisation as it was intended and trying to do things the old and trusted way, which may not be the best way in a virtual world.

I was originally trying to keep the question here simple and not taint it with the whole reasoning behind it.
Closed Thread