Petri.co.il forums Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums > Client Operating Systems > Windows 2000 Pro, XP Pro
Petri.co.il is happy to award RicklesP the title of Most Valuable Member !!!
Register Calendar Calendar Search Petri IT Knowledgebase Forums Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Changing the License Key fo Windows 2000 Professional

Changing the License Key fo Windows 2000 Professional

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 10855 times

Closed Thread

Old 31st March 2004, 16:10
Casual
Casual

6 month star 12 month star
 Send a message via ICQ to fudo
Default Changing the License Key fo Windows 2000 Professional

I have recently setup a mixture of Windows 2000 and XP boxes, however I was forced to use the same license keys during the install process. I have know had the necessary licenses purchased, and have easily managed to change the XP Pro installs and get them activated.

What I was wondering is how can I change the license information on a Windows 2000 Professional box without re-installing. I know there is no activation process, it's purely a step to satisfy my clients and to ensure that the site is full compliant on licensing.

Can I just tweak the registry or get a tool which will allow me to enter the real license. There are only 8 machines and I don't really want to re-install each machine. I was lead to believe such a tool existed in the Resource Kit however I have not managed to find it anywhere.

Thanks in Advance

fudo
Old 1st April 2004, 10:05
Wrote the book

6 month star 12 month star
 Reputation: danielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud ofdanielp has much to be proud of (1198)
Default RE: Changing the License Key fo Windows 2000 Professional

One thing you can do is run SYSPREP on the machines (with the NOSIDGEN parameter).

Read this for more info:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper..._20873276.html

Daniel Petri
Microsoft Senior Premier Field Engineer
MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT
Closed Thread